The Wheel of Time is a television series based on the novels of the same name by Robert Jordan. A live-action adaptation of the novels was originally planned as early as 2000, but was not formally announced until 28 April 2016. Production began in Fall 2019, and had to pause multiple times due to COVID-19, and wrapped in May 2021. Ahead of its premiere, it was renewed for a second season in May 2021.
The first season premiered on November 19, 2021.
Robert Jordan originally sold a TV rights option to NBC in 2000. NBC planned to adapt the books as a network TV series spanning several seasons. However, interest in the project dried up after the writers involved departed from NBC. The rights subsequently returned to Robert Jordan.
Shortly after this, a Japanese animation studio contacted Jordan and proposed an anime series based on the first three books. However, they only wanted to adapt those books and not the complete series. Jordan was not interested in this adaptation and talks stalled before any formal deal could be discussed.
In 2004, Robert Jordan sold the TV, film, video game and comic book rights to Red Eagle Entertainment, a rights-handling company set up to develop multimedia projects based on the novels. This deal was worth approximately $640,000 and was due to last for eleven years, unless a long-running TV series or movie franchise was in production by that time.
In 2008 Red Eagle re-sold the film rights to Universal Pictures for a "seven-figure sum". Universal developed a film script based on The Eye of the World. However, Universal decided not to proceed with the adaptation and the rights returned to Red Eagle.
In 2014 Sony Television developed an interest in the property as an ongoing, big-budget TV series. They discussed the project with Red Eagle and with Harriet McDougal, Robert Jordan's widow, editor and literary heir and executor.
The TV and film rights were due to revert to the Robert Jordan Estate (the Bandersnatch Group) in early February 2015. However, Red Eagle self-produced a 22-minute short film based on the prologue to The Eye of the World, starring Billy Zane, and paid to have it broadcast on the FXX Network in the United States, during an infomercial timeslot. They argued that this constituted getting a TV or film series into production and thus they should retain the rights. Legal discussions followed to clarify the situation.
On 28 April 2016, the Robert Jordan Estate issued a statement confirming that the legal discussions had been resolved satisfactorily and that a TV adaptation of The Wheel of Time was now being developed with a "major studio".
On October 2, 2018, it was confirmed that Amazon had given the greenlight for the series to begin production.
Note: Cast links in this section will take you to the TV series wiki.
- Rosamund Pike as Moiraine Damodred
- Josha Stradowski as Rand al'Thor
- Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara
- Zoë Robins as Nynaeve al'Meara
- Barney Harris as Mat Cauthon (Season 1)
- Dónal Finn as Mat Cauthon (Season 2 onwards)
- Madeleine Madden as Egwene al'Vere
- Daniel Henney as Lan Mandragoran
- Ceara Coveney as Elayne Trakand
Two Rivers folk:
- Michael McElhatton as Tam al'Thor
- Lolita Chakrabarti as Marin al'Vere
- Michael Tuahine as Bran al'Vere
- David Sterne as Cenn Buie
- Christopher Sciueref as Abell Cauthon
- Litiana Biutanaseva as Bode Cauthon
- Lilibet Biutanaseva as Eldrin Cauthon
- Juliet Howland as Natti Cauthon
- Mandi Symonds as Daise Congar
- Naana Agyei-Ampadu as Danya 
- Helena Westerman as Laila Dearn
- Pearce Quigley as Master Hightower
- Petr Simcák as Tom Thane
- Uncredited as Joiya al'Thor
Note: Links in this section will take you to the TV series wiki.
- Shadow's Waiting
- A Place of Safety
- The Dragon Reborn
- Blood Calls Blood
- The Flame of Tar Valon
- The Dark Along the Ways
- The Eye of the World
- The Wheel of Time TV Series to Start Production in Fall 2019
- THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES GIVEN THE GREENLIGHT BY AMAZON STUDIOS
- Thus Spake the Creator
- Thus Spake the Creator
- Petski, Denise (June 19, 2019). Rosamund Pike To Star In The Wheel Of Time TV Adaptation At Amazon. Deadline Hollywood.
- Otterson, Joe (August 14, 2019). 'Wheel of Time' Series at Amazon Rounds Out Main Cast.
- Deadline: 'The Wheel Of Time': Dónal Finn To Play Mat Cauthon In Recasting On Amazon Series As Barney Harris Not Returning For Season 2 September 20, 2021.
- White, Peter (September 4, 2019). The Wheel Of Time’: ‘Criminal Minds’ Star Daniel Henney Joins Amazon’s Epic Fantasy Drama.
- NYCC virtual panel, October 8, 2021, stated by Rafe Judkins .
- Thorne, Will (December 4, 2019). Wheel of Time’ Series at Amazon Adds Four to Cast.
- Please welcome Michael McElhatton (Tam Al'Thor) to the #WOTonPrime family (November 6, 2019).
- Petski, Denise (December 23, 2019). The Wheel Of Time’: Amazon Adds Three To Cast Of Series Based On Fantasy Books.
- Greetings from Prague! Here are some photos from our recent table read on the #WOTonPrime set. (January 22, 2020).